Someone asked to try out my build so I thought I would make a quick post explaining it as its not just a 'spam moar bleeds' and prey kinda build.
Although this is a condition build most of the damage comes from the 'Terror' trait (VI in Curses). This causes fear to do damage and 50% more damage if your target already has another condition. It deals about 1k damage (assuming the target does have another condition) that will tick once every second. Its kinda unreliable though. Sometimes it will tick at the start of the fear and then at the end as well and other it will randomly tick in the middle.
Seeing that we are getting a lot of damage from fears its important to know what skills we have that can cause fear.
- Firstly we have Reaper Mark (Staff 5) this is one of the best control skills in the game, in my opinion. An AoE fear that cannot be blocked is awesome. It has a rather long cool down so try not to waste it unless you have to.
- Secondly we have Doom (Death Shroud 3) just a generic fear. I usually use Death Shroud 2 first to get some bleeds up and then fear them away after.
- Next is the utility Corrupt Boon, I only ever use this skill if the target has the stability boon. This will convert that boon into fear. After 2 or 3 fears most players will panic and use stability, as soon as they do hit them with this for another fear and they have essentially wasted a skill. Its also fun to use on Ele's that use Tornado that gives them stability or thieves spinny attack thing.
- We also have the fear from our Nightmare runes, its compete RNG but helps when it procs.
- Next we fear when we get downed :)
- And finally we have our downed 2 skill that fears.
So all in all we have a lot of fears, you could add another one by dropping Staff Mastery in Death Magic trait line for Reaper's Protection but I prefer having staff skills on a lower cooldown.
The rest of the Necro play style just comes with practice and can be used with any Necro build, it just takes time to learn this class, which tends to have a higher learning curve than any of the others.